AdSense

Tuesday 4 August 2015

Lawyer's Oath

Lawyer's Oath

The following is the Lawyer's Oath:

I, ______________________, do solemnly swear that I will maintain allegiance to the Republic of the Philippines, I will support the Constitution and obey the laws as well as the legal orders of the duly constituted authorities therein; I will do no falsehood, nor consent to the doing of any in court; I will not wittingly or willingly promote or sue any groundless, false or unlawful suit, or give aid nor consent to the same; I will delay no man for money or malice, and will conduct myself as a lawyer according to the best of my knowledge and discretion, with all good fidelity as well to the courts as to my clients; and I impose upon myself these voluntary obligations without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion. So help me God.


According to the case of Sebastian vs. Calis (1999), the Lawyer's Oath must be regarded as a sacred trust that must be upheld and kept inviolable, and not just facile words that are drift and hollow.

In addition, the Lawyer's Oath is NOT a mere ceremony or formality for practicing law. According to In Re: Argosino (1997) and In Re: Arthur M. Cuevas (1998), every lawyer should weigh his actions at all times according to the sworn promises he made when taking the lawyer’s oath.

No comments:

Post a Comment